Sabadoni – Chestnut Pastries with Vino Cotto
Featured in SBS Feast Magazine
Serves 6 • Prep 45 mins, plus 15 mins soaking
500g (3⅓ cups) plain flour, sifted
25g unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 tsp baking powder
Vanilla ice-cream, to serve
200g unsweetened chestnut purée*
80g (½ cup) icing sugar, sifted, plus extra,
1¼ tbs vino cotto*, plus extra, to serve
1 tbs Marsala
1 lemon, zested
1 egg, lightly beaten
1. Mound flour on a clean work surface and make a well in centre. Break eggs into well, then add butter, baking powder and milk. Using a fork, draw in flour, working from the centre outwards, then using your hands, work in remaining ingredients. Knead dough for 6 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Enclose in plastic wrap and rest for 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, to make chestnut filling, soak chestnuts in warm water for 15 minutes. Using a sharp knife, make a small horizontal slit in each chestnut and peel off skin, then place in a saucepan, cover with water and bring to the boil. Cook for 20 minutes or until very soft. Drain, then cool. Place in a bowl with chestnut purée, icing sugar, vino cotto, Marsala and lemon zest, mashing until smooth.
3. Preheat oven to 180C. Roll out dough on a lightly floured work surface until 2mm thick, then cut into 10cm squares. Place 1 tbs filling in centre of each square, then brush edges with beaten egg. Fold squares over to form triangles, enclosing filling, and crimp edges to seal. Place pastries on an oven tray and bake for 20 minutes or until golden.
4. Dust chestnut pastries with extra icing sugar, drizzle with extra vino cotto and serve warm with vanilla ice-cream.
* Fresh chestnuts are from select greengrocers. Substitute vacuum-packed or frozen chestnuts from delis and specialist food shops.
* Unsweetened chestnut purée is available from select delis and specialist food shops.
* Vino cotto is a sweet and tangy condiment made from cooked grape must. It is from delis, specialist food shops and select greengrocers. Drink 2006 Pizzini Per Gli Angeli, King Valley, VIC (375ml, $65)