Campi di Fonterenza was founded by twin sisters Margarita and Francesca Padovani in 1997. The biodynamically farmed estate lies in the commune of Montalcino in the beautiful heart of Tuscany wine country. The origins of the 35ha estate at 420 metres above sea level, date back to 1462 and the Padovani family began rejuvenating the vineyards in 1975 planting 4ha of Sangiovese and retaining 24ha of woodland and olive groves.
Vinification takes place in 17.5hl new Slavonian oak fermenters, using only wild yeasts, followed by ‘affinamento’ elevage in larger 37hl Slavonian oak. No fining or filtration takes place prior to bottling of what is only a few hundred cases of each wine. The wines, Rosso di Montalcino (savoury, bright and pitch perfect) and Brunello di Montalcino (a study in detail and latent power) are some of the most exciting wines to come out of the region.